Here's my pre-race check off list that I've compiled from experience. I hope it helps!
Leading up to Race, Emergen C for prevention of cold, etc..
Pre-race at home:
Pre-race, bring to corrals:
- Body Glide or other skin lubricant to prevent blisters
- Armband or belt to carry your phone if you can’t part with it or want to have it along to take pictures immediately before, during or after the race
- Charge Garmin
- Charge Smart Phone
- Download smartphone and make sure you have memory for photos and videos!
- Extra layers you can toss (For cool weather races; go to the thrift store and buy one. The race will, in return, donate the clothes.)
- Fuel (Gu, Shot blocks, Nuun, etc.)
- Ibuprofen, Zyrtec, Sudafed, Imodium AD (for longer races, because you never know. I usually put these in a small baggie.)
For the race:
- Bottled water (Just in case I get thirsty before the race starts.)
- Pre-race healthy snack (My metabolism is on high gear pre race and these snacks have saved me a few times! I usually bring a Larabar or Honey Stinger Waffles.)
- Running top, shorts or tights (weather appropriate)
- Wicking socks, I highly recommend Balega's!
- Running shoes
- Race bib and safety pins (I typically pin my bib on my shirt the night before!)
- ID — written onto the back of your bib or product such as Road ID
- Hat or visor
- "hot hands" to keep hands warm pre-race (if not wearing gloves)
- throw away jacket / mylar jacket
- garbage bag / poncho
Post-race at home:
- Dry clothes and socks to change into post-race (If you plan to hang out after the race, then it's best to bring extra clothes and socks.)
- Post-race snack and fluids (Most of the time, the race will provide drinks and snacks after the race.)
- Jacket (I'm ALWAYS cold after running so this is a must for me!)
- Slippers. I highly recommend Oofos!
- Compression socks ie. CEP Compression
- Compression pants/socks
- Foam Roller / sticks
If traveling for a race :
- Compression pants
- Ice Packs
- Lacrosse Balls
- Back up Race Clothes (in case of change in weather.)
- KT Tape
- Ear plugs
Back to lifestyle & fitness blog